Homemade Lavender Syrup

10:16:00 AM


One of my favorite places to visit in June is our local lavender farm, Seven Oaks Lavender Farm.  Not only do they have a beautiful field of lavender plants to harvest and buy, but they also have a well-stocked farm store filled with many products made from their own lavender.  And they are the ones that introduced me to cooking with lavender.


I had always used store-bought Herbs de Provence blends for cooking, but until my first visit to the lavender farm I never considered using the buds for baking and infusing syrups and oils.  I thought it would make everything taste like soap.  After tasting their homemade cookies and cupcakes, I was a fan.

At first I just used the products they made, but after getting comfortable doing things on my own, I began using culinary lavender in my own recipes.


Simple syrup is just that - simple!  I use this syrup to sweeten both hot and iced tea, along as a sugar substitute in baked goods.   If you don't have a local source for culinary lavender, there are many online sources, such as Amazon (for which I am an Amazon Affiliate).

Simple Lavender Syrup

2 cups sugar (or 1 cup for a thinner syrup)
1 cup water
4 tablespoons culinary lavender buds* (it is important to use culinary grade, other forms are bitter)

Bring sugar, water and lavender to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer and stir for 15 minutes, until sugar dissolves and liquid thickens slightly. Remove from heat and cool.  Transfer to a container and steep the buds overnight.  The next day, strain lavender buds out and transfer syrup to a glass container with a lid.  It can be stored up to a month in the refrigerator.

What what can you use simple lavender syrup for?

Add a teaspoon or two to hot and iced teas
Add a teaspoon or two to lemonade
Drizzle over vanilla ice cream
Drizzle on pancakes and waffles

So go ahead, buy some lavender buds and experiment, and let me know what you think!



FULL DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, reviews, and/or link to any products or services from this blog. I appreciate you, my readers, and your support and promise to only recommend products that I use, love, or drool over.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow Along!

Join me as I share with you my favorite destinations around my hometown and around the world. This blog is written by me to share my adventures with you, and inspire you to take more adventures of your own, and capture them in your own unique way!

Shop Amazon